Launching a website for your business? Want a personal blog to write your experiences? Designing a website is not an expensive affair anymore. Yes, there are projects for which the expertise of a web developer cannot be ignored, but for basic websites and blogs, you don’t need extensive help. If you want to build your own website, we have a few tips that may come handy.
- Get your domain. While you can always get free domain with an extension of the host, such as website.wordpress.com, nothing really beats a perfect domain. Ideally, a .com is best for most niches and websites, but you can also settle for .co or .biz for business websites. Finding a domain is hard, so get it registered, instead of paying a premium later.
- Go for paid hosting. Yes, free hosting services are available, but there are usually serious compromises on certain critical aspects, such as uptime, storage and bandwidth. Consider going for paid hosting, and select a reliable hosting provider, such as BlueHost. Basic plans don’t cost a bomb and come with assured tech support.
- Find a good website builder. Website builders are of great use, especially for creating simple websites. Wix and Weebly are two most popular website builders, and they have tons of free features. On the other hand, Shopify is what we recommend for online stores, and WordPress is the best choice for blogs.
- Settle for free theme for now. If you are trying a new idea, we recommend that you consider a free theme as of now. WordPress, Wix, Weebly – All have a bunch of free website templates that you can check, and if you need something more, go for a paid template, as even that will cost a lot less than a standard customized theme.
- Don’t miss SEO. Online marketing starts with SEO, and that’s an aspect you have to take note. There are free plug-ins that offer considerable tweaks to set the SEO for your website, and you can even choose to fix social media elements too. Long before you get into paid marketing, it is necessary to keep up with SEO.
Finally, don’t shy away from talking to domain and hosting providers, in case you need help for setting the website. Also, there are detailed guides online as how you can build a website and fix all the technical issues, so check for that too.